Skip to Content

Trash can fire prompts school evacuation

PEORIA (HOI) – Peoria firefighters and paramedics responded to Hines School just after 3:30 p.m. for a trash can fire.

According to a press release from the Peoria Fire Department, the principal and a maintenance worker moved a trash can from inside the building, which was extinguished using a portable extinguisher.

A school employee pulled the fire alarm and the building was evacuated prior to fire department arrival.

First responders remained on scene to remove smoke from the building so that the alarm could be reset.

Significant smoke damage was sustained to a first floor bathroom where the trash can was found.

A Peoria fire investigator determined the fire had been intentionally set.

No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.

The damage is estimated to be $350.

Jason Howell

Skip to content