Skip to Content

Passersby rescue two from burning house in Pontiac

PONTIAC (HOI) -- Quick thinking may have saved two lives in Pontiac, as a passerby pulled two people from a burning building that had no smoke detectors.

It was late Sunday afternoon at a home in the 300 block of West South Street.

Two people had been sleeping upstairs.

Passersby on the street saw the fire and apparently pounded on the door.

The Pontiac Fire Department says one of them went inside and got the two people out safely.

The house did not have any smoke detectors.

In a statement Monday, Fire Chief Jacob Campbell said the department is working on finding out who those citizens were so they can be recognized for their bravery.

No injuries were reported.

The fire is still under investigation.

Sheridan Swathwood

Skip to content