BLOOMINGTON (HOI) - A first responder's quick thinking saved prevented an apartment fire from spreading to other apartments, Bloomington firefighters said.
Firefighters were called about 5:05 a.m. Tuesday to an apartment building in the 600 block of East Empire Street. First crews on the scene said they saw flames from the second floor apartment door.
The fire department said EMS Supervisor Tony Salvator rushed upstairs to make sure everyone was out of the building, then seeing the flames, Salvator closed the apartment door. Shutting the door stopped the flames from spreading, according to the fire department.
"This could be a much worse story," the fire department said in a social media post.
The fire department said no one was hurt, and the Red Cross was helping find housing for a resident who lived in the burned apartment.