KNOXVILLE, IL. (HOI) – Tuesday evening, the Knoxville Veterinary Service confirmed the little Maltese rescued in a Sunday house explosion in Rapatee, succumbed to her injuries.
Maggie, died overnight Tuesday according to the clinic. They said she was more than a decade old, and they were surprised she survived the explosion at all.
In a Facebook post, they said, “She had touched so many lives the past few days and our hearts continue to go out to the family. Many people have donated financially towards the medical care of Maggie.”
They went on to say that any excess funds will be forwarded to the family to use at their discretion.
Sunday, Knoxville Veterinary Service said, “We picked Maggie up yesterday from the scene unresponsive, in shock, covered in debris and hair singed.”
She had four broken ribs and a neck injury.
The explosion on North St. & Rt. 97 also killed two people inside; a mother and a son. Wanda Swain, age 77, and her son David Swain Jr., 51, were both found in the debris of the home and pronounced dead at the scene.